Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:20:48 EST
Elisheva says,

> .  If mom says she won't
> love you when you wean, is that coercion?   Looks like it to me.  I don't
> see
> why bf could never be part of an otherwise unhealthy pattern -- every other
> normal activity can be, right?

I've been thinking about this even more, especially since there's another
case in the news -- this one having to do w/ a 5 week old baby in our fair
city (Chicago....).  Mom & Dad were divorced when mom was 3 months pregnant.
Dad wants visitation rights for 3 to 4 hours at a time, mom says no way --
she's nursing "every 45 minutes".  Judge says she has to pump her breasts and
provide breastmilk in a bottle for dad -- after all, "women do this all the
time when they go back to work -- no big deal."  Mom says big deal and she's
not going to do it.  Women's rights activists says no judge should be telling
a woman what to do w/ her body -- case on hold for time being while mom & dad
fight over what to name the baby.  One comment on TV this morning was that
this was such an ugly divorce case that it should have been videotaped and
every couple thinking about getting married should be forced to watch the
video.  The dad is an attorney....no pics of the mom.

Sigh.  Some rather rude snickering about it on the radio this morning and the
comment that "breastmilk has certainly been in the news this week!"

anyway, all that to ask -- in our combined years of lactation experience,
have any of you ever come across a mom who is coercing an older child to
continue nursing for her own gratification?  I'm not talking about continuing
to try and nurse a reluctant 9 month old, or 12 or 15 month old -- I'm
talking about coercing -- with a "mommy won't love you" or whatever -- a 4 or
5 year old child -- to continue?

I never have -- simply can't imagine it.  But we are all speculating that
this woman might be doing that.  I just wondered if any one actually really
knew of anyone who was doing that.

Jan Barger in Wheaton -- 5 inches on 13 inches....more snow than we ever see
in December!