Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 15:26:30 EDT
Hi all,

An LC friend that's not on Lactnet asked me to pass on to you the following
article.  It appears in First for Women magazine, the 6/21/99 issue now on
the newstands.  There's an "Ask the Doctor" column (actually called "Doctor
on Call")  writtent by Dr. Linda Marraccini, who is billed as being the first
female chairperson of the Florida Chapter of the Am. Acad. of Family
Physicians.

Here's the question & her answer:

Q:  I had a baby four months ago, and I can't breast-feed (sic) because I
have inverted nipples.  I'm very upset because I know that breast miulk is
best for infants.  My husband suggested that we purchase breast milk, but I
dont like the idea of giving my baby someone else's milk.  Is banked breast
milk safe?

A:  I do agree that breast milk is the best food for infants, but you don't
need to feel bad if you can't breast-feed (sic).  commercial infant formulas
are designed to have the same nutritional content as mothers' milk, and
bottle-fed babies grow up perfectly healthy.  I don't like the idea of
purchasing someone else's breast milk because I'm not sure it can be tested
for potentially harmful germs.

Everyone start your typing fingers (when you're doing screaming "ARRGGHH")...
 their email address [log in to unmask]  They say "be sure to include your
name, address, and daytime phone when writing".

Back to banging my head on the wall.......

Carol Schlef, RNC, MSW, IBCLC