Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:59:57 +0800
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My research examined mothers' experience of infant-feeding advice during a
> period when advice was very prescriptive and, because mothers were
> reluctant to admit to disagreeing, the health services and politicians
> believed (incorrectly) that attendance equated with compliance. - Thorley
> V. Accounts of infant-feeding advice received by mothers: Queensland,
> Australia, 1945-1965. Nursing Reports 2012; 2(2). Available at
> http//www.pagepressjournals.org/index.php/nursing/view/262
>
> If anyone is looking for a research topic, perhaps you might consider
> examining these issues in other settings. It would be interesting, for
> instance, to see studies on lactation consultant (IBCLC) services, or on
> counselling by mother-support groups such as LLL and ABA, or peer
> counsellors. Studies such as these would give points of reference for
> comparing and improving how we work with mothers and their babies.

Aside: I think it is useful to move on from talking about "compliance",
and toward talking about "adherence". "Compliance" entails hierarchy,
and orders given from a superior to an inferior. "Adherence" is about
sticking to a plan, and doesn't imply any authoritative commands.

This little change can inflect the conversation quite differently: it
stops being about obedience, and starts being about a whole lot of other
things, like collaboration and autonomy and persistence. I think it's
also all tied up with the difference between healthcare provider
centrism and client centrism.

Lara Hopkins