From:
Barb Gabbert-Bacon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 14:56:47 EDT
<<  Have any of you noticed that women with very large breasts
 have more difficulty pumping with regular size flanges?>>

Janaki........when pumping, a large, floppy breast must be supported well just
like during nursing.   When pumping for three months with my preemie, I
realized that it did not work for me like the booklet/brochure pictures showed
for the moms with smaller, more perky breasts.  They just hold the collection
bottles in their hands with flanges around the nipple.

Suggest to the larger breasted mothers that they support their breast with
their hand underneath, much like the c-hold, and hold the flange in the "y" of
their hand.  Thumb on the outside, palm under the breast and four fingers
towards her cleavage.  The flange hangs there quite nicely.  Maybe suggest a
little lansinoh around the flanges helps to keep the skin adhere well.  It
worked for me and several other moms I've worked with.

I think the larger flanges are more useful for the moms with big, wide
nipples.  So wide they don't clear the sides of the average flange.  In my
experience, breast size seems to have little to do with nipple size in most
moms.  Or I might say, there is not correlation between the two.  Areola size,
yes, nipple size, no.

Barb Gabbert-Bacon, Wichita, Kansas, USA