From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:03:44 EDT

Dear IBLCE Board,

    I am so happy to hear that this confusing,  contradictory, disempowering
document is under discussion. It is in dire need of  revision. I had a long
email composed, which I am not sending now that I know  this document will be
reassessed. This is good news. As it reads now, it puts an  IBCLC in the
position of denying correct information to a nursing dyad if it  contradicts what her
HCP told her, no matter how outdated, erroneous, or  dangerous that
information might be. It asks for IBCLCs to share evidence-based  information and
policy statements about infant feeding, but then puts them in a  position of being
out of the scope of practice by telling them they cannot  actually do what
they are required to do, because if they mention the Management  Strategies from
the Evidence-Based Guidelines for Breastfeeding Management  from ILCA, the
AAP statements or the Global Strategy for Infant  and Young Child Feeding, they
will surely contradict many a HCP. I could cite  many examples of how this
Scope of Practice document would harm mothers and  babies and their breastfeeding
relationships, and I could list many of the best  IBCLCs I know of, who are
now thinking their credential wasn't worth the money  it cost to prepare and
sit for their certification or recertification, and  others who are now
reconsidering ever certifying because they will actually be  tongue-tied by doing so.
Let's clip this now, and free up the professionals to do what they do best,
help mothers and babies to normal feeding and mutual caregiving, as part of
the  health care team.
Thank you for your attention to this matter. Thousands of IBCLCs are  waiting
to hear the outcome and consider their futures.

Sincerely,

Judy LeVan Fram, IBCLC, 1996, recertified, 2001, 2006, and  wondering...