From:
Maurenne Griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:59:47 -0500
I use slings and strollers in a variety of situations with my three, soon to
be four children.  Like Laurie, I am petite, but being 35 weeks pregnant
with my 4th child, I am also about as round as I am tall.  My youngest, 21
months, can still fit in a sling (she's a petite 22 pounds) but I can't wear
her as my tummy is just too big and putting her on my back or on my hip is
pretty difficult these days!   My two older children just finished soccer
camp last month and with being majorly preggo and having to transport our
dinner and drinks in a cooler, a lawn chair (oh and the kids!), little
Christina was riding in the front of my double stroller.

Something that has been wonderful this summer is a swimming sling that I
recently purchased online from a SAHM. (e-mail me if you need more
information about where to get one) It's made of the same material you would
use to make basketball shorts from, if that makes sense.  She has no fear of
the water (or little else for that matter) and keeping her in the sling part
of the time eases my mind and keeps her very close to me when I want to go
over her head.

As for moms not wearing their slings, when I sell a sling, I show the mom
how to use it, how to get it good and snug around the baby and I also
encourage moms to call me if it is not working for them so we can
troubleshoot the problem.  I could nurse in it when my babies were very
small (under 3 months).  Sometimes they will bring them to a LLL meeting and
one of us sling veterans can help her get things adjusted.

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Manhattan, KS  USA
http://www.networksplus.net/griese