From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:41:25 -0400
Today is the anniversary of Independence of the United States of America,
and I want to comment on breastfeeding mothers' RIGHTS. Breastfeeding: It's
Your Right" is also the theme of World Breastfeeding Week starting next
month.

As of this writing, 27 (nearly half) of the US states and the US Government
(regarding Federally-owned property) specifically protect this right of
mothers and babies. As many of you know, in 1997 several young mothers in
southwestern Ohio were harassed at Wal-Mart stores for discretely
breastfeeding their young babies (one on a bench outside the women's
dressing room; one while standing in line at the layaway counter). They
first complained to the Civil Rights commission in our state -
unsuccessfully. With the help of two attorneys, they filed a lawsuit against
Wal-Mart which has since been bumped up to the Federal judiciary system and
is still on the docket, waiting to come up for trial. During the press
conference held when the lawsuit was announced, a reporter asked "What about
the rights of those who don't want to see women breastfeeding in public?"
One of the attorneys, a civil rights expert, replied "That is the same
argument used to keep blacks in the back of the bus."

Individual freedom is woven into our national heritage. As a famous person
said, "I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to say it."

Individual freedom does NOT extend to the right to yell "Fire" in a crowded
theatre. Nor does it now extend to the right to blow tobacco smoke in
someone else's face.  And in 27 US states and on US Federal property, nor
does it extend to the right to harass mothers for breastfeeding their babies
in any location where the mother and baby have a right to be.

Some people don't like see pierced eyebrows, purple hair, or other body
"art." Others don't like to see breastfeeding. Still others are "offended"
by people with different skin color, or who ride motorcycles, or who wear a
veil or headdress, or..... fill in the blank with "your favorite prejudice."
So what? As long as no clear-cut harm is being done to others, these
behaviors are legitimate aspects of the many freedoms that we enjoy. And so
is the right to express our opinions on Lactnet. This is an excellent
forum - thanks to everyone who joins in!

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
Dayton, OH USA
http://www.bflrc.com