From:
Sheila Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 21:31:33 -0500
Pacing a feeding seems to mean more than one thing. And perhaps it means
more than one thing in more than one setting? This definition below comes
from a NICU setting, perhaps written by OT, as a technique to use to assist
premature suck patterns to develop. It doesn't really fit with what I have
come to understand pacing to mean. It is likely I need more information. Can
anyone shed more light on this statement about pacing feeds:

"Pacing is counting how many times your baby sucks and then taking a break
after five sucks by tipping the bottle or removing the nipple so your baby
can swallow and breathe."

Sheila Humphrey
Minnesota