From:
Tim Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 22:18:01 -0400
Our hospital had a one hour ceu class on Infant Massage.  Someone from
the Touch Institute in Miami came to speak.  The CD was given out at the
class and the staff was raving about it.  It was being played on each of
our units all day long. (Very beautiful, I might add) NO, I did NOT go!
I must say I am deeply disappointed the Touch Institute is involved with
M-J in some studies.  One of our Licensed Massage Therapists (and L/D
nurses) is involved in a big study M-J is doing regarding massage during
Post Partum. (Her comment was: no one knows they are sponsoring the
study)  I feel like the abm companies are lurking at every corner with
their hand in every pocket and there is nothing or no one that can stop
them!

Feeling frustrated today, had a baby fed 15cc of abm twice because the
blood sugar wouldn't go over 50 (post birth).  This baby was never
brought out to the mom to feed, she had problems with an epidural so
someone felt the baby would be better off in the nursery, to allow mom
to calm down.

Pam (Hendrix, RN, IBCLC, ICCE)