From:
Tom Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:06:47 -0500
To      Janet Goodrich
Re      Herplex(idoxuridine) and Herpes keratoconjunctivitis

First, Herpes keratoconjunctivitis is very dangerous and you need to tell that
client to get started on this drug immediately, don't wait a minute or the risk
of vision loss is high.

Secondly, although there are numerous systemic side effects from IV
idoxuridine,  none of these problems seem to occur following ophthlamic use.
This would suggest that the systemic absorption via eye drops is quite minimal.
 Some data may be available somewhere,  but I cannot find it quickly.  I cannot
find anything on the oral bioavailability in a child.  I doubt this product
would be extremely hazardous to a breastfeeding infant simply because the
maternal plasma levels would be minimal.  Suggest mom breastfeed and then use
the medication if she chooses to continue to breastfeed.

Regards
Tom Hale