From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 07:34:13 -0500
Dear Netters, particularly Tom, Jack, Frank or Brian,

Mom wants to bleach her teeth.  Stuff of choice is carbamide perioxide.
 Apparently it is put into a mold, and mom wears the mold on her teeth every
night for 3 weeks (top teeth) and then 3 week (bottom teeth) to get them nice
& white.  (Guess Aqua-fresh isn't cutting it).

What is this stuff?  Will it be absorbed into the system through the gums
enough to get into the breastmilk?  If it gets into the breastmilk, will it
be a problem for the baby?  Does anyone care?  I'm not sure, but I suspect
mom would wean early if she thought it a problem.  (I know, I know...white
teeth better than breastmilk).  My hunch is that it shouldn't be a problem,
but what do I know?  Is it in toothpaste whiteners? Would it be destroyed in
the GI tract?  Does it matter?

Jan Barger