From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:25:30 +0100
Hello Everyone!

After many months of lurking/skimming Lactnet, I'm sending a quick update
and request.  Old Lactnetters may remember that I was a long-term private
practice LC in Zimbabwe, who emigrated to Australia in 2003.  I've now left
Australia  - long story, OT - suffice to say that the whole family adored
Australia, but we were not able to make our Business Visa "work" as we
hoped.  We arrived in England in February and have decided to settle in a
little village in W Sussex.

I believe that there are about 200 IBCLCs in the United Kingdom.  I'm
writing to ask if any of them would be willing to educate me a little about
the English "system", or point me in the right direction of someone who
can.  I know nothing!  I'd like to know about where LCs work, what special
joys and challenges they experience, how they complement other groups or
individuals, whether there is a need for private practice LCs and what the
requirements are, eg contact/approval with health boards/authorities,
obtaining professional indemnity insurance, how you market your services,
and with what response, etc.  I'm already very encouraged by a surprisingly
positive promotion of breastfeeding on the TV and by talking with just a
couple of mothers - this is in direct contrast to my experience of working
with English mothers in Zimbabwe, who constituted, almost without
exception, one of the highest risk groups for bottle-feeding.  Obviously a
lot has been achieved in the last couple of years.  A quick peek in my
local pharmacy however, reveals screeching Code breaches - tins proudly
boasting 1) "most like breastmilk" and 2) "for babies over 6 months and
hungrier babies of any age" - or similar wording, and little jars reading
"from 4 months" so there is obviously a fair bit of promotion of competing
products.  I'd also like to find out what kind of conferences and
"happenings" I could participate in, if possible.  And lastly, I'm
re-certifying by exam this year, and would welcome contact with any other
candidates, if not before, then on The Day!

Meanwhile, lovely to continue with Lactnet, which helps me to feel
"connected" in another very strange country!

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, W Sussex, England