From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2007 19:14:53 -0400
<<I live in a high-altitude, very sunny region
> (300+ days of sunshine a year) that consistently
> has UV Index numbers toward the top of the scale.>>

you guys definitely have a better shot at optimal D levels from sun,
but the few people I know in Colorado (3 specifically) who are testing
D, aren't coming out well.  And they probably have 'typical'
exposure...weekend athletes, walking the dog in am and 5/6 pm, moms
walking babies in strollers around 10 am etc.

again, even in colorado, the noon exposure is critical.  it's
something people just don't do.....and very very very few people do it
without sunscreen.   while most sunscreens have offered little UVA
protection, all have stable, effective UVB protection.  anything over
8 is blocking D production.

<<it is very do-able
> for mothers and babies here to achieve optimal
> vit D levels without the use of supplements.
> (And by 'optimal' I mean truly optimal, not the
> probably-too-low levels that have been considered
> normal for a long time.)>>

it's easy to know by testing.....but most people are unwilling or
unable for some reason...and docs by far and wide aren't doing it.   I
wish there existed a finger prick test for 25(OH)D levels so everyone
could accurately assess and treat.  I totally agree that treating
individually would be the optimal solution v. blanket supplementation
of cholecalciferol.

<< Fortunately most of the doctors
> around here seem to be aware of this issue and I
> rarely hear of a mother told to give vit D drops
> to her exclusively breastfed baby.>>

I used to think that fortunate as well.  Now I think it's woefully misinformed.

D levels we used to think of as acceptable are now known to be
completely an inacceptable level of deficiency.   The time will come
fairly soon when it is realized that 32 ng/mL is still deficient and
that nothing less than 50 ng/mL  (125 mnoL for the 'rest' of you:)
will be considered acceptable.

I believe the same thing will happend with D levels that has happened
with levels of thyroid hormones...the range of optimal will narrow
considerably as more and more is published.

While some of the publishing has initially focused on women who cover
for religious reasons, or fe, the agoraphobic mom, there is much more
available now.

In Australia, as in the rest of the industrialized countries,  D
deficiency will be widespread as people do adopt the daily religious
use of sunscreen.

Katherine in atl