From:
Chuck Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:20:40 -0700
I am convinced that we will change society's views on beastfeeding slowly, one person at a time.  Rather 2 at a time in my case.  My older boys were 8 and 5 when son #3 came along and in the middle of soccer season at that!  We were in Burger King and the big boys were playing on the play yard and my 7 week old and I were both eating.  My 8 year old came over and said "You are doing THAT in here!"  As everyone stared I informed him that no one knew until he brought their attention to it!  The next week I was BF during my sister's rehearsal dinner and then again during the wedding (no I was not in it).  Until me my brother-in-law had never been around a pregnant woman much less a breastfeeding woman.  At first pregnancy was yuck but he got used to it by feeling my belly when the baby moved.  Then BF was disgusting until he "saw" the beauty of it.  They are now planning baby #1 and he is very supportive of her desires to breastfeed.
My boys would also come into the back door and yell "Mom, what are you doing?"  If I said "I am feeding the baby", they would turn to their friend and say "You stay there."  I guess in their own way they were protecting mom. Boys sure love their moms!!!
My boys think it is abnormal to feed a baby a bottle.  I have had them ask me what was wrong with that mom they saw in the store because she fed her baby a bottle.  What great husbands I am raising!
We will get there one at a time.
Debra Knight, R.N., ICCE