Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:41:57 -0400
Like many of us on Lactnet, my children have grown aside my teaching materials and reading related to pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding (2 boys, 1 girl). My boys are now teenagers. A few years back I was traveling somewhere with my kids in tow (including the youngest, a daughter). As teenagers sometimes do (adults as well I suppose), my sons were talking *smack* about a peer they were clearly not impressed with. One of my boys even went so far as to, well, refer to the peer's *less than stellar intelligence*?(not nice, I scolded him).

Brother 1 looks at brother 2 and says, "Well, he is (insert word for less than stellar intelligence)! Was he breastfed?"
Brother 2 says, "Apparently not."

Another scolding from me, but only after a little internal giggle and some personal gratification that my boys passive exposure to normal birth and breastfeeding resulted in this information being vicariously transferred. I can't count the number of times my oldest son sat aside me nursing his Lego person as I nursed his younger brother!

Is there any evidence that breastfeeding contributes to the development of wit?

Michelle H. Kinne ICCE CD(DONA) CLE
www.DoulaDiva.org

?