From:
Barbara Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2017 09:15:35 -0400
Dear Carol,
I think goat's rue is a great suggestion. Maybe saw palmetto? Has she
had her prolactin levels checked? If they are low domperidone might
help. I have heard Dr. Hale say he thinks it is a very safe drug UNLESS
she has a history of heart issues. And we know it works at least a
little bit for most women. See
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0890334412438961

I would also think of "power pumping" differently. Most people have moms
pump for an hour with varying lengths of time. I have found mothers just
can't get to this. I suggest 5 minutes of pumping, 5 minute break, 5
pumping, 5 break, 5 pumping. This is 25 minutes and most mothers can do
this 1-2 times per day. It also mimics a hungry baby. Also, is she using
the right flanges, warming her breasts and massaging them before
pumping, and taking 1-2 minute breaks during her pumping? My working and
BF moms tell me that when their pumping output slows down, they turn off
the pump for 1-2 minutes, start again and then get another oxytocin
surge more easily. I have felt for a long time that mixing up the
lengths of the pumps and when a mom pumps, creating variability like a
baby would do, is more effective than pumping 15 minutes every three
hours. You might suggest having her take a good 4 hour stretch at night
to get some solid sleep. Sleep is good for prolactin and general health.

:  )Have the partner pace bottle feed at night if needed for this to
happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cvF1nawMNI

Has she been paced bottle feeding?

I love and use the idea of the breast as dessert or nursing for fun and
comfort. This helps babies stay in the game.
Finally, and I don't mean to go on, what about foods? I know we are not
cows but in the dairy research they have found fiber, good fats, and
probiotics help milk production. Avoiding parsley, sage, and mint which
can lower milk supply in some mothers.
Finally, malunggay or moringa (2 names for one thing!) is a leaf which
seems to support overall good health and milk supply. It won't hurt.
Let us know what works and what doesn't!
Warmly,

--

Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC
The Breastfeeding Center of Ann Arbor