From:
Mike and Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 23:54:52 -0400
""Emotionally, psychologically and financially the use of a shield in this
situation is very appropriate and  I feel much less "a radical device " as
you put it. Do you feel because the  shield was  invented more recently that
makes it more radical than a pump or a bottle?   I really don't see how a
shield  is more radical than pumping and bottles. How are you defining
radical?""
Geez Debby, I've re read my message ten times and I can't find the word
radical anywhere, so, as I didn't use it, I don't feel bound to define it!
I basically said I'm inexperienced, and I have a gut reaction against
involving too many bits of confidence-shaking equipment. If a Mom is not
nursing by day five there's quite a high chance she (or someone in the
hospital) has already given the baby a bottle, no? If she is happily
feeding with a nipple shield (or finger feeding, or whatever) fine! I would
be the last one to suggest she chuck something that works and use a pump.
But if she's already using a bottle I'm "hesitant" [direct quote] to
introduce even more equipment so early when I don't know if it will work.
Let's try the breast - with support and accurate info - first!
I am really keen to know at what point all you more experienced people
start using supplemental systems, nipple shields, etc. when a baby doesn't
latch. Is day 5 really so desperate?
I am also keen to learn what the success rate is with nipple shields.
Anne Merewood