From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:52:58 -0400
Correct me if I'm wrong - I don't have stats & papers at hand to check
refs - but is there not a link between depression and low estrogen in women?
And since BFing is a period of time when a woman is producing less estrogen,
is it not reasonable to think that there is a relationship? And wasn't there
a study in England a few years ago that found some success in treating women
with depression by using birth control pills, which tend to raise estrogen?
And menopausal women, with decreased estrogen production, have higher rates
of depression; and one of the effects of hormone replacement therapy
(estrogen again) in menopausal/perimenopausal women is decreased depression,
right?

So, much as I hate to admit it, there may well be a link between BFing &
depression. Anecdotally, many women I've known who have experienced
depression at other times in their lives have told me that BFing aggravated
the depression. My assumption is that BFing doesn't "cause" depression, but
that a brain chemistry that predisposes one to depression can certainly be
aggravated by BFing.

And that's just brain chemistry - not even considering the new stresses
associated with having a new baby, adjusting to the life changes that come
with a new baby, parenting, stuff with the birth, and all of the situational
aspects that can contribute to PPD.

Cathy Bargar RN IBCLC Ithaca NY