From:
Sue Petracek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 08:49:12 -0700
Being nearsighted, I've never forgotten an example given by a high school
teacher to explain natural selection. He said: Look how many people wear
glasses for nearsightedness today. It is a "defect" we have allowed to
stay in the gene pool that probably wasn't so common before. Many of
those who were nearsighted probably fell off a cliff because they
couldn't see where they were going long before they reached childbearing
age.

I'm reminded of this in the Vitamin K discussion. Many babies died in the
past and people often didn't ever know why. We have learned a lot about
the human body over time. True, one must be wise and question motives and
check data and the medicalization of some things has distracted from its
basic purpose.  But I, for one, am thankful that I live now.

True enough, we can look for wisdom in the perfection of "Mother Nature".
But as was said recently, the golden time of perfection we tend to think
we can go back to may never have been. We need to look at how we can
create it now.

Sue
Married to nearsighted Ken and with 3 nearsighted (breastfed) children.

Sue Petracek              * [log in to unmask]
Bosom Buddies, Inc.       * www.bosombuddies.com
(888) 860-0041 Toll Free  * Helping mothers breastfeed successfully