From:
Zoo-Mama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:08:06 -0600
At 10:38 PM +0000 3/4/02, Family Myers wrote:

>I'm sorry, I should perhaps have given more information when I posted my
>query about neonatal acne. The baby's rash started at four weeks. My
>understanding is that most babies get spotty around this time, whether
>breast or formula fed. And that it has usual cleared up by eight weeks. The
>only written info I have found so far attributes it to a fall in the baby's
>oestrogen levels. Which means, as I understand it, that in no way can
>breastfeeding be responsible. Now for the silly bit, am I right? are all
>those doctors wrong? I'm not going to go in for colleague-bashing here, but
>I'm pretty sure I know more about breastfeeding than they do (but not
>necessarily about rashes!) I would like a bit of concrete evidence I can
>present to these mums to allay their concerns and stop anyone weaning for
>the wrong reasons - which as things stand is a strong possibility.

Everything I've read in print on the web and in baby books says the
acne is from the hormones the mom passes on during pregnancy and birth
but they don't specify about breastfeeding.  I am fairly sure formula
fed babies have infant acne as well.  Do a search for infant acne hormones
on google.com and it gives you lots of results...

Maren

Eli (3/4/99): http://ohww.norman.ok.us/eli
Isaac (10/17/01): http://ohww.norman.ok.us/isaac
Robin and Jonathan: http://ohww.norman.ok.us/boyzweb