From:
Evonne Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 21:13:58 -0400
In my experience most of out moms of premies make milk without problem.  Most
make more than enough with the occasional mom that really has to work to keep
up.  This week I made rounds on out NICU mom's and everyone was low!  So my
question-- what is normal for the amount  these mom's should pump?  I like
for them to be way ahead of what the baby will take volume wise at discharge.
 I like an over supply so that when first put to breast the baby doesn't have
to work hard to get enough out, taking to long, burning calories, makeing
NICU nurses nervous etc.
  Would you get nervous with mom's pumping for average of 2-3 weeks and
getting total of 1-2 oz ea pumping?  Am I jumping the gun?  I am aware of ups
and downs in supply with baby's  condition changes.  These amount are fairly
consistent in 5 different moms.  I have gone ahead with increasing supply
suggestions.  I just thought I might need  a reality check with your great
minds.
TIA,
Evonne