Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:36:48 -0500
Yesterday I posted about the baby that is being fed with the Hazlebaked
fingerfeeder. I  hope it came through , as I didn't see any replies. I
saw this 1 week old baby in follow up today. Weight is exactly the same
, no gain , no loss for 2 days in a row. Being ff 30 cc breastmilk every
2 - 3 hours around the clock. Ped sent baby to me telling mom that if
baby didn't learn breast now that its going to be harder to teach her
later. I have only worked with one other baby this age , She was 4 weeks
early . First rule is feed the baby , which we are doing , babe loves to
ff , a little to much i think, we tried to place baby to breast and she
slept and sucked only a few times and swallowed some of what dripped
into her mouth from the SNS. My thought is , baby needs to get a little
bigger and more ready to go to the breast , and that mom should pump
every 2 - 3 hours and offer baby breast with SNS first then the ff. What
do you all think, my experience is limited in this area.  My plan is
that after baby gets bigger , she will do better, is this what you see ?
Or am I way off base here? Mom has plenty of milk , pumps 90 cc in 10
min each time she pumps. Shes using the double electric. What about
using the nipple shield ? I usually save them as a last resort. ? ! ?
Mom had med sized breasts with flatish nipples , but they protrude well
after pumping. ANY advice ot tips would be most appreciated .

Thanks

--
Cindy~

Cindy , RN, IBCLC  ~ Virginia , USA
ICQ # 412812          mailto:[log in to unmask]
Benefits of Breastfeeding Home Page http://www.erols.com/cindyrn
LactChat Home Page -  http://www.erols.com/cindyrn/lactchat.htm