From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:08:14 -0400

On July 14, 2008, I asked my area Medela rep if she knew anything about the
info in the below message.  To date, I have not heard back as to what is
Medela's reaction to the fact that the lactation community is concerned
about the below.  What is going on with Medela?  Why is it being so flagrant
in undermining breastfeeding?  Does it not realize what it is doing, or is
it doing so well financially that it no longer needs the support of IBCLCs?

What is ILCA going to do about Medela?  What about the inside cover of JHL?
Does anyone who is going to the conference want to report back to LACTNET
and let us know what is discussed about Medela and the three issues:  1) WHO
Code violations; 2) Pump rentals by uninformed/poorly trained Babies R Us
employees; and 3) Using IBCLCs to help with "marketing their bottles
appropriately to consumers."

Item #3 reminds me of how RNs are used by the ABM companies to promote ABM
in the hospitals/pediatric offices.  I am feeling that Medela is using
IBCLCs.

Warm regards,

Lee Galasso, MS, LLLL, IBCLC, RLC

Westchester County in NYS, USA

"Children Are Born with the Right to Breastfeed"