Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:25:25 +0000
>Dear all:
>
>I really have to say that I am stupefied by someone who claims that
>marketing of bottles
>does not make a difference.

<snip>

Thank you, Susan, for your very detailed and useful account of the
way bottles are marketed .

The Code covers these products in order to protect *all* mothers and
infants,  including the ones who do not breastfeed, or do not
breastfeed exclusively.

The spurious health claims for bottles are made for products sold in
the UK, too.  This is what happens when marketing is unrestricted. We
have a very weak law on promotion/marketing of formula, and bottles
and teats are not covered at all by this law, so we see
poorly-evidenced claims when bottles are advertised.

Sadly, very few HCPs in the UK are skilled at ensuring mothers know
how to bottle feed with the least potential for harm, and the
advertising and marketing of the equipment makes it very difficult
for parents to choose a product on health or effectiveness grounds.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK