From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:02:07 -0400
Dear Robin, maybe the professionals you are working with to obtain this
degree can assist you in setting up a mentorship? Maybe they will have
better luck, having a wider array of contacts on the professional level?
It is certainly a problem, I see. It is frustrating for you, I am sure.

Just a thought. Kathleen

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant: Breastfeeding Clinic of Vermont, Lactation
Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc.
Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

Why?  If the consensus of opinion, as I see it on Lactnet, is that there
must be a standard of learning and certification in place for IBCLC's,
and Union/Healthy Children is one of the first to offer a standard
pathway with schooling and Internship. And after reading  "The Lactation
Consultant in Private Practice" where it is mentioned a number of times
that any aspiring LC's should be mentored and serve an Internship...and
it states explicitly to PPLC's already in practice to take on students
LC's, are NO IBCLC's willing to take on a student and mentor her?

It is so very frustrating, I want to learn and become proficient and yet
there are roadblocks at every turn...and from the very professionals I
had hoped would be thrilled to help me out. Is this merely a San Diego
problem or is this more widespread?

Any insight out there on this issue?

Robyn Roche-Paull
LLLL & CLC San Diego