From:
Robyn Roche-Paull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:22:36 -0800
<<Besides being ardent (very) about breastfeeding I love wildlife so I
naturally take notice of their nursing practices which I'd like to share:
..

On that note, we (my daughter, son and I) went to the San Diego Zoo
recently, as we do often since we live in San Diego.  We love visiting the
Gorilla exhibit to watch their crazy antics, and muse on how like they are.
While there this last time, the Momma gorilla was sitting really close to
the glass wall separating us and her *toddler* was playing close by.  I sat
down on a bench right in front of her and within a few minutes my daughter
decided she needed a nursing break, so I latched her on.  Well, the Momma
gorilla was watching me intently and pretty soon her toddler wandered over
and latched him/herself (?) on to Momma gorilla too!  It was very cool to
sit there and enjoy this bond between us primates.  The Momma gorilla
watched me and I watched her.  Both of our toddlers played with our hair/fur
and tried to twiddle with the other side...when my daughter had had enough
she ran over to the glass and pointed to the gorilla toddler and said "Na
Na's" (her word for nursing).

It was very special and something at least I will remember forever!

Sweet Nursings,
Robyn
Who can say what flows through the breast
along with the nutrients and antibodies?
Perhaps our child grows strong on memory, spirit, dream and story...