Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:25:06 -0600
Here's my 2 cents worth,
I rent and sell breastpumps.  I am the only individual in our city who does.
You can rent/buy a breastpump from a medical supply house or a hospital or a
store.  I figure that I do a 30 minute consult with every pump and my moms
get the best and most current info available, with handouts and referrals to
their hospital lactation clinic, LLL, or wherever else is appropriate.  When
they get a pump at a store, or from a medical supple house, they get
nothing, often not even setup instructions.  I have 25 years of experience
and that is generally more than any of the hospital staff.  I feel a
responsibility in asking the moms why they need a pump, suggesting what
might be appropriate to their needs, when is the right time to get it, and
complete instructions.  Sometimes I can direct the mom to LLL and sometimes
I just reassure her that she doesn't really need a pump.  BUT, frequently, I
am the person who catches someone who is in desperate need of medical help
and refer them to the proper help.  Many women call for a pump, when they
really need to talk to someone about breastfeeding.  I maintain a list of
every posible way to get a pump for mothers with no money (WIC, loaners,
etc).  Out of every 10 calls, I may rent 3 pumps, but I like my good
reputation as someone who doesn't oversell.  My business is a business, I
buy groceries from pump sales.  I also sell the parts for those foolish
enough to buy used pumps, but they get the 2 minute lecture on the
disadvantages (mainly, that the motor will wear out very quickly, in
addition to the contamination possibilities).  Those of us who do rentals
and sales in an appropriately responsible way should be greatly valued.

Jacie, in the great American Southwest, land of blue skies and mild weather.