From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:38:05 -0600
If this gal needs hands-on hours, she has to work directly with the patient
with the IBCLC watching and guiding, and will most definitely need some kind
of liability insurance. If she does this as an LLL Leader, then she will
have LLL liability insurance. I would strongly suggest she wear an LLL name
tag and do something like hand out LLL meeting information with her name and
phone on it before getting started with a mother so that it is all very
clear to the patient,  If this gal only wants to observe, she will not be
able to count these hours as BF consultancy hours. If she is an official
hospital volunteer, and goes through your volunteer office, she may be
covered by the hospital insurance. Depends on if volunteers are allowed
patient contact in your hospital. If she is doing hands on direct care, she
will need to do the hospital charting, with you also writing that you
observed her, and keep separate written records for herself. If it were me
doing the mentoring, I would expect the intern to do all written records
just like if she were an IBCLC, including care plans, charting, etc.
Otherwise  how is she going to learn about our standards of practice and
code of ethics? Best to you both, Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC (LLL Leader)