Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:16:02 -0500
I believe the only reason the issue of women having the choice to do
whatever they wish with their breasts and therefore it's buying into myths
about mothering and womanly ideals to promote breastfeeding comes up is
because society considers bottle &/or formula feeding to be perfectly
acceptable alternatives to breastfeeding and breastmilk.  I think if
someone *truly* believed what a serious health issue this is choosing to
bottle/formula feed "just because it's my womanly right to" would be seen
as totally ludicrous and the height of selfishness, immaturity, and as a
lack of readiness to be a parent.

I believe another reason this comes up is because of the sexualization of
the female breast.  Why else (with completely informed choice) would
someone choose to not breastfeed besides they consider their breasts a sex
object? (this refers to women who don't want to breastfeed for reasons of
sexual abuse as well -if breasts weren't considered sex objects it wouldn't
affect them so).  I mean nobody just chooses a gestational surrogate for
fun.  Nobody just chooses an egg/sperm donor just because they want to and
it's their right to.  They do it because they *can't* do it the 'natural'
way.  Not for reasons tied up in "issues".  Not because they don't want
their child touching them "there" "in that way" to use that body part for
"that sort of thing" or "to have more freedom".

It's quite sexist that we have periods and that the men can't carry the
babies too, but nature imposed gender inequality just *is*.  I think tying
breastfeeding and feminism clouds the health issue it is, and lactation
professionals should avoid this whenever possible.

Sincerely,
-Wendey (studying LC, Breastfeeding Peer Support Counsellor)