From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:04:56 +0100
Sticky situations can easily arise when working in settings with commercial
bases, such as shops for parents.  As IBCLCs we are bound by our code of
ethics to 'adhere to those provisions of the International Code of Marketing
of Breastmilk Substitutes which pertain to health workers'.  This means not
taking gifts or gratuities from manufacturers of breastmilk substitutes,
feeding bottles, and teats, and it means not giving the appearance of
endorsing such products either.

It would seem imprudent to me, in light of that point in the IBLCE Code of
Ethics, to allow my name to be associated with promotion of products from
companies who are known Code violators like Nestle and Avent.  Even if I am
only brought in to talk about breastfeeding, there is a reason the shop
wants me and the Avent or Nestle products to be linked in the visual
memories of those attending, and as far as I can see, I have nothing to gain
and everything to lose by such an association, while the opposite is the
case for those who yearn to be my fellow travelers.

So, I would advise any of you considering such a venture to ask yourself
what your bottom line is.  Personally I think Betsy's relaxed attitude (not
caring what they give out) is risk-taking behavior, and it's not a risk I'd
be willing to take, even for the chance to talk about breastfeeding in a
venue where no one else is likely to talk about it either.  I don't want to
reduce my message to something that accompanies a marketing sample of a
bottle filled with water with a brand name label applied, and the thought
that someone might end up finding my business card tangled up with an Avent
brochure at the bottom of their shopping bag just gives me the shivers.

I'm not generally a fearful person.  I buckle up in cars, wear a life vest
in boats, I have insurance on my home, and I don't engage in extreme sports,
but I don't fret about these things.  The thought of compromising my
integrity or even the appearance of integrity, for the benefit of a company
that tramples on all that I hold dear, however, terrifies me.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway