From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:40:00 -0500
Dear All:

I see no problem with actually reviewing an evidence based report that suggests a moderate
approach of an ocaissional drink.  I see nothing in that that should be scary for parents.  When
asked, I put it in terms of how you have less restrictions after pregnancy.

The IOM report does NOT recommend formula.  Please read it.  They do not say that.  I did not say
that.  As I already mentioned, the IOM report does NOT recommend pumping to CLEAR the
alcohol.  And while the alcohol is not a constant in the blood, the disappearance curves are well
worked out thanks to such things as paying attention to DUI.  Nothing wrong with giving parents
those guidelines.

Most mothers I know who come to support group in advance of a wedding want to know if they
can have that second drink.  Most come back reporting that they never had the second drink
because one felt like enough.

I really don't see anything wrong with a little advance planning for an event where a mother thinks
she might want more than one or two drinks, has arranged for babysitting for her child, and
suggesting that she get a store of breastmilk in advance for the babysitter - and giving a few tips
on advance planning to prevent engorgement if she's exceeded moderation.

I'm sure in an ideal world every mother would have her one drink, want her baby with her
throughout the wedding ceremony and every wedding party would be thrilled to have babies
participate in that process.  No problems with engorgement, no problems with finding the
babysitting, best for baby.  But we don't live in an ideal world.

There are many ways for mom to have a comfortably moderate approach to alcohol and still plan a
little to minimize her baby's intake.

Best, Susan Burger.