From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:07:13 -0400
It is my understanding also that cultures that constantly carry, breastfeed, ect that babies do not cry as often or as long.  But they still have fussy periods and these periods are the same for babies all around the world--evening and night time. US babies tend to have longer crying spells in the evening and night.  There are multiple reasons for this.  We tend to get very concerned when baby fusses and want to stop the crying which may cause more frustration.  People in societies like Kung! do not get concerned about fussy babies--they just accept it and do not worry about the fact that baby needs to be carried or breastfed or otherwise tended to. We are always second guessing ourselves.  Why does baby need to be held so much? Why can't I put baby down?  Why is baby not sleeping well? Why does baby want to nurse again it has not been 3 hours? The Kung! babies begin to fuss just as often as our babies but they are tended to quickly and consistently and the mothers and the entire community know this is normal.  A Kung! mother will not be scolded for carrying her baby too much or be told she will spoil her baby. Not all babies in the Kung! society or other similiar societies will always stop crying--but the mothers don't get frustrated as easily as we do because they are doing what they need to do and they are supported by others.  I have seen numerous babies in the US that are carried constantly, breastfed, co-sleeping ect that are very fussy.  No matter what culture you are in you will see babies on both ends of the fussy spectrum and everything in between!