Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 14:25:09 EDT
Carol and all:
I never meant to imply that you were "an idiot". I apologize if it sounded
that way.
I too have heard Dr. Nyquist and other physicians where breastfeeding is the
norm. I would love to have all of the babies in my nursery breastfed only -
but US Moms do not get the same pregnancy/birth leave that Swedish moms do,
do not have the same social support systems; US Hosiptals are not built for
"rooming in" for all mothers to be with their babies; and the attitudes here
are different re parenting. I am very proud of my nursery and my nurses as we
have the same percentage of mothers breastfeeding their preterm, sick infants
as breastfeed their term, healthy ones (~ 90%) qand sometimes more than the
healthy ones!  My babies do NOT have to prove they can eat at bottle to take
the breast - they go to breast first.
I feel a bit uncomfortable having no standard of growth and development for
preterm, breastfed infants.  Perhaps Dr. Nyquist has published something that
would help us.
Nancy Wight MD, FAAP, IBCLC
Neonatologist