Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 09:09:22 -0500
>I had a call from a mother of a 14 month old who is nursing this child and is
>newly pregnant, about 6-8 weeks, with her second baby. She is experiencing
>morning sickness, the typical nausea of pregnancy and was wondering what she
>could use to ease this.

Just a quick reply this morning.  Ginger is good for nausea. When I have
suggested it to mothers who are experiencing morning sickness, they don't
see it favorably unless they are used to drinking herbal teas. But there is
candied ginger available in health food stores and many groceries.  It has
greater appeal to a mother who is remembering what she feels like in the
morning. She can keep it beside her bed and nibble a few pieces immediately
upon waking.

I also strongly recommend eating foods with high B vitamins throughout the
day.  I know that many newly pregnant women find that the prenatals with
the concentration of Bs add to the nausea, and they may stop taking them.
Bendectine that was used in the 70's was vit B6.  So focusing on whole
grain breads and crackers throughout the day may be of help to her.

The diet throughout the day does impact the morning sickness, but when a
mother is experiencing it she often relies on empty foods that her mouth
can tolerate. A couple of mothers have told me that Trisquits munched
before even taking their heads off the pillow have been most helpful. It
has the B vits and salt that the mouth finds acceptable.

Diet is a good place to begin but there are other remedies for such nausea
that, hopefully, others on this list will share.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]