From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 06:13:57 -0700
Again, a question about medications and the information available is not
about topical corticosteroids:

"I have psoriasis of the scalp and have been prescribed Derma Smoothe scalp
oil as treatment. This is a topical treatment which no studies have to done
in regards to milk transfer. There has in fact been studies on the ingested
form that does show amount of medication in breastmilk.  Here lies my
problem I am losing my hair in chunks and could possibly go crazy by how
badly my head itches.  My baby is 9 months old and I plan to breastfeed for
at least 2 years, but this is awful to live with!"

I copied Fluocinolone information from LactMed as well as what I could find
from Hale (which was a combination of medications including fluocinolone) -
for her to discuss with her PEDIATRICIAN (Why is it always the OB they are
referred to? - the Dermatologist AND the pharmacist told her to not
breastfeed until she talked to her OB.)

I'll also send her the link to the Infant Risk Center - thank you Dr. Hale -
but I'd appreciate thoughts?

Jeanette Panchula, BA-SW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

Cell: 707-290-8200