Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:08:28 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I am comfortable slling for several reasons.  I know my products, and what's available elsewhere.  If a mom needs a 16mm nipple shield, I know she cannot get one from the neighboring hospital where she delivered, nor can she get it from the chain store (they both carry only 24mm).  It's me, or not at all.  Wholesale they are $4, I sell for $6, the chain store sells for $8.  I also have hydrogels available for mothers who need them.  The brand I sell lasts for up to 6 days (rather than 24 hours like the ones sold at stores), so if she needs them & chooses to buy, it saves her $60.  I also let moms try without obligation.  If we need a tool, after we've talked about options etc, we'll try it out and if it doesn't work, I don't charge the mom for it.   I think it is a sign of professionalism for an IBCLC to have the tools she needs rather than sending mothers to the store to buy ___ and then come back to be helped.  It'd be great if moms didn't need to invest in any gadgets, but that's not realistic.  Having them available is a courtesy.  My $0.02.
Amy Peterson, BS, IBCLC
Idaho

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2