From:
Fay Bosman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:29:42 -0500
See the announcement about the big new anti-obesity campaign in Newark, NJ, USA:

http://newarknj.patch.com/articles/new-pilot-program-will-target-childhood-obesity-in-newark

"Mayor Cory Booker's Let's Move! Newark campaign, Newark Now and Nestle have teamed up to bring an educational pilot program to New Jersey's largest city that will promote healthier lifestyles starting in early childhood.
"We know food needs to be fun ... so we want to do it in a way that's sustainable," said Marilyn Knox, president and chief executive officer of Nestle Infant Nutrition North America, Friday during the announcement of the new initiative at city hall.
Nestle made a $100,000 donation Friday to help fund the new community initiative, which will be implemented at all 15 of the city's Family Success Centers, one-stop facilities that offer families essential services of all types.
The two-year pilot, the first of its kind in the nation, is a six-course program that will teach parents and families how to make sure their babies are eating nutritious foods with the help of a bilingual nutritionist. Emphasis will be placed on the benefits of breast feeding, physical activity, vegetable consumption and portion control."

Yeah right! We're all convinced that Nestle is sincerely interested in promoting breastfeeding...! I wonder if IBFAN / Save the Children / anyone else wants to communicate with Newark Mayor, Cory Booker, about Nestle's conflict of interest and lack of ethics??? I am just too overloaded right now to take this on.

For those unfamilar with why Nestle has a terrible reputation amongst those who genuinely care about increasing breastfeeding, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott and the links referenced therein.

Fay Bosman, IBCLC
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Vancouver, WA
Lactation Consultant, www.nwmothernurture.com
President, Clark County Breastfeeding Coalition, www.facebook.com\TheCCBC