From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:03:53 -0400
Good afternoon. Gee, I leave for a few hours to put my daughter on a plane
to visit relatives, and the most amazing things happen. : )

Jay's idea of owning Lactnet through a shell corporation in the Bahamas was
pretty funny. In fact, I think the whole thing is kind of funny in a kind
of strange way. What did I miss here?  I am not sure why I am under
fire...maybe it's the alignment of the planets? Is there a full moon?
What's up? Jay, let me know when the big bucks are gonna arrive.....

If I thought this over more fully, I might be really offended. I'll just
say that professionally, and with regard to my volunteer work (this list
included), I hold integrity as my highest value.  Anyone who knows me will
know that this is true. I am always open to questions, concerns, etc,
especially when they are presented politely.

I do a lot of work for a lot of people...some for money, most not. I build
sets for the middle school play as a volunteer. I am sometimes a stage
manager for a local musical theater group.  I am a LLL Leader.  I keep a
set of webpages for fiber enthusiasts, and place ads for people via the
internet, who wish to buy and sell used looms and spinning wheels, or who
want to buy /sell fleece/wool/fiber (fiber farmers). I take seniors to the
grocery store who don't have rides.  I work as an independent consultant
for Medela.  If it's not "fun," I try not to do it...as Ben and Jerry
say..(*my neighbors*)...and it's all fun, especially helping moms and babies.

My best and most important work is helping my own three girls to grow
up...which I am still  working on....you should hear them play their
violins, flute, etc. Amazing. And, they are good people, which is really
something.

I take a lot of pride in *all* my work, paid or not. I am *proud* of my
work for Medela as an independent consultant. Through my work with them, I
have had the opportunity to meet and become friends with some really great
people, and to help many mothers and babies all over the world  to
breastfeed, (maybe 350/month at this point). My work there, as with my
other work and volunteer efforts, is a pleasure and most importantly, an
*honor.*

The idea for Lactnet popped into my brain in 1995, when Kathleen Auerbach
and I collaborated to get it going.   I have worked on it ever since, as a
*volunteer.* I receive no money for my work here, and neither do my hard
working co volunteers. The list is open, and is not censored or moderated.
  I and the administrator/volunteers read this list and keep it going as an
asset to the lactation community, as an educational tool.  Most of the
time, it is fun to be involved with Lactnet. There have only been  a *few*
trying times, which says a lot about the subscribers in general.

Having said all this, I think that we need to get back to the regularly
scheduled program, which focuses on helping mothers and babies to
breastfeed.  Any more notes about me will just take up valuable bandwidth
where we should be discussing breastfeeding issues. Please, let's get back
to breastfeeding as a topic.

If anyone has a problem with anything I do,  as a paid consultant or as a
volunteer, I encourage anyone to contact me privately. I will be glad to
discuss things. Of course, I am like most people, more open when approached
politely Having manners is one of the list rules.  It's one of those things
most people learn in kindergarten. ..thankfully.

Have a great day. Oh, and remember..if someone says something negative, it
really may be a reflection of the negativity that they are feeling.  I have
learned that it has very little to do with me, even though it may appear to
be directed that way.

Kathleen

PS. Thanks to all for the very supportive notes. I won't dare tell you what
my teenaged children said when they read these latest notes.

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html