From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 07:14:36 -0500
The LCs and doctors on Lactnet are always striving to learn more, if we
weren't we wouldn't spend the time and effort to participate.  There are
lots more LCs and docs out there who don't take  advantage of ed
opportunities, don't read and couldn't be bothered with an on-line info
group.  Personally I go crazy trying to read all the peds stuff and
lactation stuff that comes by, I tell moms to call LLL when I don't have
time to deal with them in the office because there are 15 more sick kids
waiting to see me.  It is quite a revelation to be "on the other side" of a
peds practice!

I do my  lactation work as a LLLL on my time.  But I do what I can in the
trenches at work, tweeking positioning and lavishing praise and discouraging
bottles.  Bottles are considered a normal part of breastfeeding in my area.
The hospital thoroughly indoctrinates them before they leave.  I wish my
local hospital was baby friendly or anything approaching that.  They are
very  high tech and obsessed with blood sugars (50 is the rule).

Over the years I've observed that moms who come to several LLL meetings
before they have the baby do best.  I'm not just patting LLL on the back.
Moms  do better than the ones who go to short BF classes usually given once
by the hospital.

I don't know what the answer is, I guess I wish that Drs or NPs who don't
know much about BF would just keep their mouth shut and refer mom to LLL or
a knowledgeable LC, rather than making stupid pronoucements.  Pat in SNJ