From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:09:10 -0400
BMIs begin at 2 years.  Before that you need to be watching the baby's own
curve in comparison to him/herself.  Is it going up steadily, crossing lines
(which may be catch  up  or slow down growth, depending on baby's size at
birth).  Developmentally on target, etc.

For formula babies, is their intake in the ball park (28-32 oz/day) or are
they guzzling down 8 oz 5-6 times a day and it shows!  I frequently have to
tell parents to slow down  intake when baby is obese, 97+ percentile and
spitting it up too. Nobody has a clue about watch the baby, not the clock
and for sure they need to finish it all :-(

Re: 2 year old and up BMIs.  We are looking for a gentle slope down and then
a rebound around 5.  If they start the rebound sooner, they will be looking
at obesity in the future.

Another problem I've been seeing frequently is the mom doing "both."  when
breast alone would be fine, but you know - "she doesn't have enough milk"
:-(  So I tell them that they have to wean off the bottles and explain why
the baby's intake is too  much etc,  etc, etc.  I feel  like a broken record
most  days.  Our local hospital has become obsessed with blood sugars.  They
have to be above 50 - yes, that is FIFTY at the first check  when baby is a
few hours old. Or the bottle goes in the mouth.  AAARRRGGGHHH!  Pat in SNJ