From:
Patricia Blomme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:12:33 -0600
Well Guys and Gals of the lactation world. This was my letter to the
Magazine. The space with which to write such a letter did not have much
mauch space and upon reading it in full on a bigger screen I can see some of
the things I could have said. But the ball is rolling anyway and I hope to
get some feed back. I might in future need some support in doning this for
changing the world is a big job!!! thanks for being there and all the
support thus far. wouldn't it be great if we could get them to stop the
advert!!!

Patricia in Calgary

Good Morning dear Sir /Madam

The reason for writing this message is of great importance.

I am an avid reader of your magazine and look for it on the shelf of my
local store for each issue (a favorite task). I have become dismayed in the
last few years since becoming very involved in the promotion of
breastfeeding. During this time of learning and promoting breastfeeding I
have come across a variety of myths that are associated with formula use. I
myself having once believed that each was as good as the other. Well in the
years since I began having children of my own I have learned much and
realized how gullable I was when it came to breastfeeding and the
introduction of artificial baby milk (ABM) products. My first leasson was
that by introducing this stuff I was sabatoging my efforts at breastfeeding
and there by made breastfeeding harder on myself than necessary. This was
all done in ignorance. Now I have come to know that I was lead to believe
that ABM was equal to that of formula. I now know different, which brings me
to my reason for writing.
In reading your magazine I notice that you consistantly advertise for one of
the ABM companies. This advertising is in direct violation of the World
Health Organizations "International Code Against the Marketing of Artificial
Infant Formulas". I am including with this letter the web sites that contain
this code.

I thank you for the time and attention you will give to this serious matter.

Thank you,

Patricia Blomme RN
Certified Perinatal Nurse
Birth educator
Labor assistant
Breastfeeding counsellor/advocate
(Calgary, Alberta)

the sites are as follows:

http://www.gn.apc.org/ibfan/fullcode.html

http://wwwgn/acp.org/ibfan/thecode.html

I know these sites will tell the same tale, but I thought it important that
you understand this is a very serious thing, and to note also the company
which you advertise for has an international boycott against it. Just
thought you would like to be informed.

http://www.tdh.texas.gov/lactate/whocode.htm

http://www.infactcanada.ca/whocode/innocent.htm

http://www.oneworld.org/unicef/cracking.htm