From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 08:37:00 GMT
Hi Jay
I did a literature search through the Lactation Research Centre (Melbourne Aust) in Nov 1994
and found some useful references.
Basically, it seems that the risk of transmitting Hep C to baby via breastmilk is fairly small.
As with studies on HIV, it is hard to tell which babies are infected before birth, and which
afterwards. Some of the researchers felt the risk of transmission was higher if the mother
was Hep C RNA pos as well as Hep C antibody pos (infers ongoing active infection). I have
the references here, so if you would like the full details, please email me.

Fiona Coombes
Family Physician and IBCLC
Perth  Western Australia