Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 22:41:47 +1000
I have recently opened a second Internet account and second subscription to
Lactnet so I could keep up with you all while on holiday last week, using a
laptop computer, courtesy of my husband. I am using this new one now as we
are now having problems with my original Internet provider. BTW if anyone
wants to contact me, please use this e-mail address ([log in to unmask])
and not <[log in to unmask]> at least for a few days. I hope my other
subscription is not causing the Kathleens error messages, etc. as we cannot
do anything about it until Monday.

I thought I should mention to you all what I discovered about the procedure
used to sign off from Lactnet which may explain why some people have had
trouble stopping their subscription. Before we realised that we were having
problems with our other provider, we signed off Lactnet on the laptop. It
was only when I wanted to renew this one, because of the problems, that we
discovered that it is necessary to send a confirmatory message (ie a second
message) to the listserver within 48 hours of signing off, otherwise the
subscription is not cancelled. If others had just sent the signoff message
and not checked within 48 hours, they would still be receiving Lactnet
postings, and if they have gone away their mail box would fill up and cause
error messages back to the Kathleens, I assume.

Joy Anderson
Perth, Western Australia