From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 06:59:51 -0700
I have been using the video by the Royal College of Midwives that shows a
midwife helping a mother and having baby latch INCORRECTLY at first - then a
correct latch - as a teaching tool - I have the nurses chart on each latch
and discuss what would be their next steps...This video is getting very hard
to get - so we need another option..

However, what I'm requesting today is whether any of you have a suggestion
(short of becoming your own producer) for a video that shows SHORT segments
of incorrect and correct latch.  We already address positioning (or baby led
positioning) in other sections - I'm talking about a close-up of a baby's
mouth on the breast with clearly visible incorrect (cheeks suck in, lips in,
shallow latch) and correct (you know) latch.

I'm working with the California Department of Public Health (Birth and
Beyond California - link to it from: http://cdph.ca.gov/Breastfeeding) and
some great nurses and IBCLCs in other parts of California to develop a
course for hospital nurses that will be available free to download -
hopefully by this Spring.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA