From:
Billie Jean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:20:51 -0400
Judy asked about LC care on med-surg wards:

One of the things I'm grateful for is the leeway given to us to run the
lactation program as we see fit....in some areas, anyway.  For us, it's so
nice to be able to bring a pump to anyone who needs it.  We have even loaned
pumps to our affiliate hospital when a mom was admitted there (They do not
have a maternity unit there.)  We follow up on any patient (if we know about
her) who has been readmitted and is nursing, baby or Mom.  There is no
charge to the patient for our services or for equipment.

The down side is that general staff do not have any education given to them
regarding nursing mothers.  I'm always glad when a nurse thinks to call us
and ask what she should do for a nursing mom.   I'm sure there have been
some who have been missed.  I recall one case where a baby was readmitted to
pediatrics for dehydration and weight loss.  The doctor, of course, ordered
formula to be given.  A wise nurse called us to see the mom.  It was such a
simple fix, it was a shame that this baby had been given formula!  She had
large breasts and was not supporting the weight of them after latch on.  The
baby was not able to sustain a good latch and tired easily trying.  Mom
began supporting her breasts, baby gulped plenty of milk and perked up
immediately!  Released from the hospital later that day!

Billie (Who's wheels are turning re: general staff education!)