Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 12:51:46 -0400
        <<In my prenatal classes and at the bedside, phone, whatever, I
don't actually
        use the words "hindmilk" and "foremilk", but I DO address the issue
of
        needing to let the baby decide when to come off, instead of
switching sides
        by the clock.

I will sometimes use the terms, sometimes not -depends upon the group or
person I'm counseling. The subject comes up most often for me when a mother
is concerned about whether the baby "needs" water.  Then I'll discuss
foremilk/hindmilk.

        <<This analogy also works to discuss varying lengths of feeds:  some
meals you
        want just a quick drink, others a nice-sized meal, & sometimes you
want
seconds on everything.>>

A meal-related analogy that I use when discussing length of feeds is to
compare different adult family members that naturally eat at different
paces.  I'll use my dad & I as examples.  Sit us both down to the same exact
meal at the same exact time and he'll be done in half the time as me.  "It's
not the food's fault", I say, "that I eat more slowly than he does.  Same
goes for breastfeeding:  some babies will nurse longer, some shorter.  Watch
the BABY."

Then they usually grasp quite well the notion that not all babies will nurse
for the same number of minutes, and that certain aspects of a child's
personality will play out during lactation.  My own three each had their own
pattern of breastfeeding......
Regina Roig Lane BS IBCLC for Miami-Dade County WIC  (who's slowest
nursling, to this very day 8 years later, still takes life at half the pace
her older brother does)