From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 22:28:44 EDT
Tricia,
I think it is highly unlikely that Colace could cause constipation in the
baby. Most mothers in our hospital go home on Colace without detriment to
bfdg. I think it is more likely that this baby is not getting enough milk.  I
have had cases where urine output is good but there is insufficient stooling
and poor wt. gain.  I would recommend checking this baby's wt. on an accurate
scale and also doing a test wt. to assess milk transfer.  This baby was under
6 lb., reportedly falls asleep at the breast, mother reports no engorgement,
and he is not stooling.   All these together are red flags for low milk
intake. When I see a similar situation, I do a test wt., have mom pump
afterward and then add the two totals together. If test wt. is 1 oz. and she
pumps another 1/2 oz. this equals a milk production for that feeding of 1.5
oz.  If she brfd 3 hr. ago (measure from the beginning of one feeding to the
beginning of the next) I then multiply the total, in this case 1.5 oz., by 8.
This would equal a 24 hr. output of 12 oz. I tell mom that this is an
estimate since supply varies through the day.  If you find supply is low, you
still need to sort out cause. Was baby always a poor nurser which resulted in
low supply or was supply low which resulted in infant becoming sleepy at the
breast.  Observing the baby and the nursing can sometimes sort this out for
you.  If supply is fine and baby is transferring milk well, then decreased
stooling is due to something else.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC
Mountain View, CA