From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 00:41:36 -0700
>Hi All,
>Thought you might be interested in the outcome of the B-strep positive mom
>with PROM (48 hours), whose baby was put on npo... AARGH!

>Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC  NYC

I second that AARGH!

I don't have any horror stories to match this one, but on a related note I
will say that at our facility we are quick to put the babies on IV
antibiotics from the time of delivery until the second culture comes back
negative if the mother is febrile during labor.  Unfortunately, the babies
don't seem to bf very well while on the IV as a general rule, though
whether due to the glucose, the antibiotics, the discomfort, or the greater
amount of time spent in the nursery, isn't clear to me.  Any ideas to help
get these babies more interested in nursing?  (BTW, I would be interested
in having someone assess what percentage of babies do come back with
negative cultures and whether a more conservative approach to IV therapy
might improve outcomes for the majority while adequately protecting the
minority.)

Arly Helm

[log in to unmask] (Arly Helm, LC)