From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:47:30 -0600
My imperfect memory trap of a mind, ( I don't remember everything, but I remember alot) recalls an cartoon illustration in an encyclopedia showing the difference between battery and assault and battery. (I actually located the drawing if anybody really really wants to see it.
If a person swings a club and misses it is assault, if you swing and hit it is assault and battery.  The encyclopedia (1965 edition) says that battery pertains to the blow or other physical injury.   It seems hard to imagine that a gentle touch of the hand could be construed to cause physical injury, especially when the intent was therapeutic.  Someone might be offended, but physically injured?  I doubt it.

Jon Ahrendsen MD ABFP
& Becky
parents of Andrea, Elizabeth and Karl
Clarion, Iowa