From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:22:14 -0600
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:36:19 -0500, Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Wise Lactnetters,
>
> This week Wednesday I will have as my captive audience two college
> classes on Human Sexuality.  The professor is a friend of mine whom I
> helped with a number of breastfeeding issues.

what level?

> So, if you had a wishlist for all the things you wish young adults knew
> about bf, what would be on it?  Don't worry--I'm not wasting your time
> asking for a primer; I'll be covering all the basics.  But if there is
> something special you think I should make sure to include, I'd love to
> hear your suggestions.

they need to know that it *matters*- that it isn't just "nice"- the
Watch Your Language essay will help a lot, but they will need to have
it spelled out as well- I'm not sure many of us are trained in
inference, after all.  They should also see it as a part of the
continuum of maturity, pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding-

> Oh, and I think I will be handing out some kind of prize (suggestions??)
> for whoever can tell me where the DHA and AHA in Lipil comes from, if I
> can find a source in writing on the web.  Genetically engineered soil
> fungus and fish eyeballs, right?

oh, I thought it was algae.  Maybe they could get a taste of it?  or
an ooky looking faux algae- although I'm not sure you could find one
in Kirksville.   If it is fungus, then maybe some really nasty looking
fungus?

I took a class on a similar subject about 12 years ago- it was sort of
a refresher for me- but I do recall that the professor (whom I liked a
lot and in whose lab I had worked on projects with one of his grad
students) left the impression that breastfeeding was "nice" but not
essential.  I wasn't left with the sense that I *must* breastfeed- or
that I must avoid artificial foods going into a newborn.    I think if
we have that impression, it's  too easy to start down the slippery
slope of supplementation.

oh, which reminds me of being in the Pet store today and a woman was
purchasing a weaning formula for her kittens.  I asked her if she was
raising orphans but she explained that she was buying it to give her
queen a break!  I so wanted to ask her if the queen had asked for a
break- the kittens were only 3 weeks old!   IME, kittens start
crunching on food when they're ready for it, and I've not seen a queen
asking for a break from nursing!  I was very disappointed.

--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html
  Mom to Ursula (9.7), Sage (7), Benno (3)

carefully removing my sig file- apologies for the last one's
appearance- it turned grey so I thought it was gone!